Minnesota has a growing number of residential care homes. In this setting, typically there are 4-7 residents in a home located within a residential neighborhood. Each resident is in a private or shared room and may have a private or shared bathroom. Because of the smaller, more intimate setting, there is a higher level of attention given to each resident. At Choice Connections, we have helped many seniors and their families find the ideal residential care home for their specific needs in the Twin Cities area.
Benefits of Residential Care for Seniors
Staffing levels are the highest in this setting, often with a 1:3 ratio during the day and evening and 1:6 overnight. Because of the smaller setting, it is important to understand which type of residents enjoy this option. Some homes focus primarily on memory care, while others might specialize in a specific diagnosis like Parkinson’s. Some of the benefits of residential care homes include:
- Intimate Setting: Residential care homes offer a more intimate and homelike environment compared to larger facilities, fostering a sense of community among a smaller group of residents. This setting often leads to closer relationships between residents and caregivers.
- Personalized Care: With a smaller resident-to-staff ratio, these homes can provide more personalized and attentive care, addressing individual needs and preferences effectively. Care plans can be tailored to specific health conditions and requirements.
- Family-Like Atmosphere: The familial setting of residential care homes often creates a warm and supportive atmosphere, encouraging social interactions and a sense of belonging among residents. Meals and activities often feel more communal and engaging.
- Comfort and Homeliness: Residents in these homes typically enjoy private or semi-private rooms, creating a comfortable and cozy living space. The homelike setting, including familiar furnishings and decor, contributes to a sense of comfort and ease.
- Individualized Activities: These homes can often offer a more personalized approach to daily activities, hobbies, and outings, catering to the preferences and abilities of each resident. This individual attention promotes engagement and mental stimulation.
- Enhanced Monitoring and Attention: With a smaller number of residents, caregivers in residential care homes can offer more vigilant monitoring of health conditions, medication management, and assistance with daily activities, ensuring greater oversight and attention to each individual’s well-being.
- Family Involvement: Many residential care homes encourage family involvement and visits, fostering a sense of community beyond the residents themselves. Families often feel more connected and engaged in the care process due to the closer relationships formed within the smaller setting.
- Flexible Meal Plans: These homes often provide home-cooked meals tailored to individual dietary needs and preferences. Residents may have more say in meal planning, and the smaller scale often allows for more flexible dining options.
Choosing a Twin Cities Residential Care Home Near Me
If you are interested in exploring residential care homes in the greater Minneapolis or St. Paul, MN, area, contact our team at Choice Connections. We can connect you with one of our Senior Living Advisors to match you with residential care homes that meet your specific needs.